Good day, book people and welcome to November! It’s been a gorgeous Fall, albeit a short one here in West Virginia. I’m ready for slightly cooler weather just so I can curl up in my reading chair with a blanket, cup of tea, and a few good reads. The past few weeks my reading has primarily been in the romance genre, namely historical romance or romantic suspense. Romance has become one of my go-to genres, especially when I hit a reading block. Yes, I know, I have several go-to genres, but romance is the main one for me right now. I’m pleased to have the following author return to the blog today. Please help me welcome back DiAnn Mills, the romantic suspense author of the recently released Concrete Evidence. Ms. Mills will be sharing her thoughts on why romantic suspense. Thank you, Ms. Mills, for your return visit, it’s always a pleasure having you on the blog. I’ll now turn the blog over to you.
Seven Reasons I Write Romantic Suspense
by DiAnn Mills
A writer should have the same passion for the genre they write as the genre they read. That’s how it should be. But if I’m not as excited about the story I’m writing as the one I’m reading, then quality suffers.
This applies to all genres, and not just my chosen preference for romantic suspense.
Here are the seven reasons why I write romantic suspense.
1. I treasure an adventure, not just any adventure but one filled with stress, tension, conflict, and lots of thrills.
2. My favorite reading or viewing is romantic suspense. I crave the action with a thread of romance. I also have a passion for the story that reaches into the hearts of a hero and heroine who find a lasting love while the two risk their lives to stop or prevent a crime.
3. Characterization is a crucial part of my writing, the hows and whys of a character’s behavior thrill me. In romantic suspense, I can fashion complex characters, protagonists and antagonists, who amaze and thrill the reader. I’m NOT an outliner. The character drives the story.
4. We live in a dangerous and sometimes fearful world. I want to create a realistic story that offers hope to readers who fear the unknown. Through characters who are trained to battle crime, I can depict real people in real crises situations.
5. My faith leads me to write stories that show good always overcomes evil. My goal is to have at least one character who approaches life and solves problems according to a Christian worldview. This focus eliminates preaching while the reader observes and experiences the character’s behavior.
6. I enjoy developing the twists and turns of the plot that (hopefully) are unpredictable yet entirely credible to the character’s personality.
7. Suspense is everywhere and an essential part of every genre, but romantic suspense is the most thrilling for me.
We all have genre preferences. What is your favorite and why?
by DiAnn Mills
October 31 – November 25, 2022 Virtual Book Tour
On the family’s Brazos River Ranch in Texas, Avery Elliott helps run her grandfather’s commercial construction business. Raised by Senator Elliott, Avery has never doubted her grandfather is the man of integrity and faith she’s always believed him to be . . . until the day she finds him standing with a gun over the body of a dead man. To make matters worse, Avery’s just discovered a billing discrepancy for materials supposedly purchased for construction of the Lago de Cobre Dam.
Desperate for answers, Avery contacts FBI Special Agent Marc Wilkins for help. As Marc works to identify the dead man Avery saw, threats toward Avery create a fresh sense of urgency to pinpoint why someone wants to silence her. With a hurricane approaching the Texas coast and the structural integrity of the Lago de Cobre Dam called into question, time is running out to get to the bottom of a sinister plot that could be endangering the lives of not only Avery and her loved ones but the entire community.
Praise for Concrete Evidence:
“VERDICT Mills … delivers another action-packed novel that offers intrigue and an adventurous ride. Recommend to fans of Dani Pettrey, Lynette Eason, and Carrie Stuart Parks.”
Shondra Brown for Library Journal
“The confident plotting keeps the mysteries coming, and red herrings will have readers guessing the culprit through to the satisfying conclusion. Fans of Colleen Coble and Susan Sleeman will savor this thrilling standalone.”
Concrete Evidence Trailer:
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Published by: Tyndale House Publishers
Publication Date: October 2022
Number of Pages: 416
ISBN13: 9781496451903 (paperback)
ISBN13: 9781496451897 (hardcover)
ASIN: B09TQ3TN6K (Kindle edition)
ASIN: B0B75PD8X2 (Audible audiobook)
Book Links: IndieBound.org | Amazon | Amazon Kindle | Audible Audiobook | Barnes & Noble | BookDepository.com | Bookshop.org | ChristianBook | Goodreads | Tyndale
DiAnn Mills is a bestselling author who believes her readers should expect an adventure. She weaves memorable characters with unpredictable plots to create action-packed, suspense-filled novels. DiAnn believes every breath of life is someone’s story, so why not capture those moments and create a thrilling adventure? Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists; won two Christy Awards, the Golden Scroll, Inspirational Readers’ Choice, and Carol award contests. DiAnn is a founding board member of the American Christian Fiction Writers, an active member of the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers, Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, Mystery Writers of America, the Jerry Jenkins Writers Guild, Sisters in Crime, and International Thriller Writers. DiAnn continues her passion of helping other writers be successful. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops around the country. DiAnn has been termed a coffee snob and roasts her own coffee beans. She’s an avid reader, loves to cook, and believes her grandchildren are the smartest kids in the universe. She and her husband live in sunny Houston, Texas.
DiAnn is very active online and would love to connect with readers on:
BookBub – @DiAnnMills
Instagram – @diannmillsauthor
Twitter – @DiAnnMills
Facebook – @DiAnnMills
YouTube – @DiAnnMills
Visit these other great hosts on this tour for more great reviews, interviews, guest posts, and giveaway entries!
This is a giveaway hosted by Partners in Crime Tours for DiAnn Mills. See the widget for entry terms and conditions. Void where prohibited.